Healthier Peanut Butter Cups (…For Halloween!)
1. ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2. 2 TBSP Extra virgin coconut oil
3. ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
Note: I like to use Nuttzo peanut butter because they have a nutritious nut/seed butter blend full of healthy fats and antioxidants.
1. Line a 6-cup muffin tin with 6 silicone liners. Set aside. Note: I like to use silicone sliders because it is easy to peel out the cup once set.
2. Combine ¼ cup chocolate chips and 1 TBSP coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high in 15-20 second intervals, stirring well in between each session. Stop when the mixture is very smooth. This is usually the case in about 2-2.5 minutes.
3. Measure 1 tsp of the melted chocolate into each silicone cup. Using the back of the measuring spoon, gently push the chocolate up the sides of the silicone cup.
4. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. If you are using an all natural peanut butter or homemade peanut butter and you notice oil separation from the nut butter (or still is!), stir very well so the oil is incorporated and place this in the freezer too.
5.Remove the muffin tin and peanut butter from the freezer. For a thin peanut butter layer, scoop 2 tsp of peanut butter into each muffin cup. For a thick peanut butter layer, scoop 3 tsp of peanut butter into each muffin cup.
6. As best as you can, spread the peanut butter to the edge of the muffin cup as evenly as possible and level the top. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the muffin tin from the freezer. Add the top layer of chocolate by combining the rest of the chips and coconut oil. The chocolate will harden fast, since the peanut butter is frozen, so work fast to ensure a completely smooth top.
8. Store in the freezer. Thaw when desired !