Even though it’s melting outside and all you want is ice cold hydration — I’ve noticed that many people are more susceptible to colds, coughs and increased phlegm. I think it’s primarily due to the drastic change of your body temperature between indoors and outdoors. You’re freezing inside, hiding under sweaters and then you go outside and instantly heat up. Your immune system will take a toll so why not offer up a healing recipe for yourself and your family. This recipe is an excellent way to get your protein, vegetables and carbohydrates in one bowl.
Here’s a simple slow cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (usually 1 tray)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped (~3/4 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (~1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional: olive oil or canola oil)
- 2 cups low-sodium veg broth
- 4-5 cups water
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp FlavorGod Everything seasoning (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups uncooked pasta of choice (I used campanelle)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Crackers, Crisps or Bread slices of choice
- Prep the slow cooker with 1/2 tbsp EVOO. Then add chicken breast (un-cut), diced carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Drizzle the rest of the oil over top then add in broth, water, basil, oregano, FlavorGod seasoning, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 5 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and allow to rest 5-7 minutes, then dice into bite size pieces. Meanwhile, add pasta and parsley to slow cooker. Increase temperature to high, cover and cook 15-20 minutes, until noodles are tender. Stir in lemon juice and toss in cooked, diced chicken.
- Serve accordingly